Friday, September 23, 2011

a most peculiar murder mystery


Shamini Flint are one of those rare Asian writers who managed to nabbed a book deal with an international publisher. Lucky lady! And she used to be a lawyer too (no wonder she looks so.. familiar..hmm). Personally, I think that it's great to read something that has an Asian ambiance to it. A breath of fresh air really.. to be enjoying something that is Made in Malaysia. Is she Malaysian? Not really sure..but being an avid mystery fan, I devoured her Inspector Singh series hungrily.

A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder

This is the first book in the series. We are cordially introduced to the fat, irritated, Sikh Inspector from Singapore who was sent over to neighbouring Malaysia to help in the investigation of a wealthy timber tycoon. The main suspect is his ex-wife; a Singaporean who used to be a famous model. For once I really think that the victim deserves to die. He's cruel, vicious man who beat up his wife (gasp), had an affair with his son's girlfriend (gasp) and even convert to Islam just to make sure his wife doesn't get custody of his younger sons (more gasp). Oooh shoot him please! His two brothers are pole opposites. The kind elder brother; Jasper who's a nature lover, harbours some deep secret while the youngest brother; Kian Min is the devil incarnate himself.

I had fun reading this, but just I was about to spot the murderer, the writer cleverly throws another suspect in the path. Damn! The ending is bitter sweet and being a mother myself, I was very touched during the part when the long suffering ex-wife tried to flee the country just so she could keep her kids. The camaraderie between Inspector Singh and his Malaysian counterpart; Sergeant Shukor is sometimes awkward and somewhat amusing.

This book actually reminds me of Agatha Christie's masterpiece; The Murder in the Orient Express where the killer is a disgusting persona and the murderer is actually the victim. So sad. And yes I guess anyone who read this would draw comparison to that other plump Belgian detective whom I love so much.
Verdict: 4 stars

The Singapore School of Villainy


Yes, the Inspector strikes again in book #3 of the series. And once again, I feel kind of sorry for the murderer. Is it becoming of a habit that the writer wants you to take the murderer's side? Oh gosh..there's so many suspects and so little time that sometimes my head goes spinning just to make heads or tail of it. The victim is a senior partner in this big law firm. And the suspects are his other partners and also his two wives. The current sexy seductress Filipino wife and the discarded White ex-wife. Phew! Sadly, I found that Inspector Singh is very overbearing and insufferable this time, what with all the shouting and bullying of his subordinates particularly that nice Corporal Fong. He certainly is very much stressed out this time since one of the suspect turns out to be his distant cousin from New Delhi.

I guess it is the writer's trademark that the ending should be somewhat bitter sweet. The murderer has this Scarlett O'Hara thing going on where she swears that she'll 'lie, steal, cheat or kill' just so she won't be poor again. Dear me..so very sad.
Verdict: 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Go on reading Dik...thanks 4 the review. I'm so into murder mystery this time. It gives me an idea how to end my ala-ala CSI story. The twisted kind...hahaha bagi lu ferning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the pening-pening Mak Andak..you can be the first Malay female mystery writer ha? wow..I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review :)
    I've been wanting to read these books not only b/c they sound really good but also b/c I'm originally of South Asian Indian descent.

    I've read THE CASE OF THE MISSING SERVANT(Vish Puri #1) and enjoyed it. I plan to read the other 2 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review! I haven't heard of this author or series before, but being an avid reader of all things Asian I know that this is going straight to my to-read list. Thanks for sharing with us:)

    Sarah Bibi Setar

    ReplyDelete