Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Spell bound

Spellbound (Hex Hall #3)
by Rachel Hawkins
ebook
Published March 13th 2012
by Disney Hiperion

Summary from Goodreads:

Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted. 

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident. 

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?

Thoughts:
Oh, what a befitting finale! I feel like jumping up and down and crying the same time when I finished the book. I know some people are complaining that this is so similar to the Harry Potter series but I really don't care. I love both of the series and I was so sad that the series has finally come to the end. So many things happened in this book and there was so many surprising revelations especially when it comes to Sophie's family history. Sophie's dad has lost her power so it is up to her to stop the Casnoffs from unleashing their evil plan of avenging the Prodigium by creating an army of demon spawn. Yikes!

Likes
There are so many! But I guess what made Hex Hall one of my favourite series of all time is the fact that the main character is so damn funny and snarky during the most unbelievable times. I mean even when the circumstances are so tense she always had a witty remark that made me smile. You go Sophie! And just like Harry Potter, the big finale is set in the magical school of Hex Hall and yes a beloved character died which nearly reduce me to tears.

Dislikes
Nothing major. But yes there are some parts that just feel to Harry Potter-ish and unnecessary. For example the modes of transportation through mirrors and Itineris (a magical portal) are so familiar. Perhaps the writer could create a totally new way of travelling for our fantastical magical friends. Bewitched airplane, perhaps?

Yes, this will indeed goes to my favourite of 2012 reads. What more can I say?

Recommended for: fans of Paranormalcy series by Kiersten White and Shadow Falls series by C.C. Hunter
Verdict: 5 stars.

In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon
 :  

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about witches & magic. I wish I had some powers of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will definitely read this book asap. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete