Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky


Under The Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1)
by Veronica Rossi
Paperback, International Edition
Published January 3rd 2012
by HarperCollins


Summary from Goodreads:


Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction. 



As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions. 

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY

Thoughts:
The book started off really promising but then it got to a point that I feel that I'm slowly losing interest. Don't get me wrong. I love the writing. It's beautiful and poetic even but the plotline is not as engaging as what I've been expecting.

I was confused with the whole dystopian setting; the Aether storm, the Pods, the Tribes, the cannibals, but I just couldn't bring myself to hate this book. Maybe it has something to do with Peregrine/Perry. While Aria just seems to annoy me, Perry is just the opposite. Perry is just that kind of character that you really feel for. His trials and tribulations are just so dire compared to Aria who was thrown out of her comfortable Reverie world. Fortunately, Aria redeemed herself towards the end of the book when she realised the truth behind her mother's disappearance and her own background.

The whole journey of finding someone who can fixed Aria's Smarteye just seems to trivial and I think Blood Red Road has a lot more to offer since it also featured something along the lines. However the closing lines are really beautiful but I just think that it could have been better as a stand alone rather than a series.

Recommended for: fans dystopian
Verdict: 3 stars.

In my Debut Author Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around & I did wonder. Maybe just for Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! At the begining I was a little confused about it, but then I fell in love with the characters. It's a great read for sure!

    ReplyDelete