Thursday, August 30, 2012

Review: Rift

Rift (Nightshade Prequel #1)
by Andrea Cremer
Published August 7th 2012
by Philomel
ARC
Summary from Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

Thoughts:
I have to confessed. One of the reason I decided to read this is because of that kick ass cover with the girl holding that cool Chinese ancient weapon. I just love kick ass chicks and it reminded me a lot of this movie. Same weapon. Different kick ass chick.


Okay. Before I start babbling even more. I have to confess even further. I am one of those few people who did not enjoy Andrea Cremer's Nightshade series. (Hides face). I really did not know why. I'm cool with werewolves. It's just the story is kind of overwhelming for me so when I heard that this is the prequel to the Nightshade series, I was not at all excited.

But the book really surprised me. Maybe because of the medieval setting and the feminist undertones made me really enjoy the book. Ember is a solid main character that I like instantly. She's a young woman trying hard not to conform to the norms set upon society. As a noble she is expected to marry well and produced offspring but instead she secretly harbours the dream of becoming one of the knights in a sacred group known as Conatus. I'm also drawn to the other strong female characters in the book such as Cian and Eira who serve as members of the Circle whom presides over the group and was chosen because they have excelled in their office. With intriguing plotlines, interesting characters and a hint of romance it's not hard to get lost in the book.

Yes the predictable love triangle is there but I'm just too engrossed with the paranormal elements, the ferocious beasts attacking the Conatus, magical mayhem and the action packed battle sequence to be annoyed by the romance.

Verdict: 4 stars.
In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment