Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: Fangirl

Fangirl
by Rainbow Rowell
Kindle Edition, 433 pages
Published September 10th 2013
by St. Martin's Press
Goodreads |  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD


A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind? 


Reading Fangirl is like drinking hot tea in a cold winter's night. Well, since I lived in a tropical country, I can only imagine how comforting that was.

I love to read about underdogs and fangirl is really the adventure of an underdog, introvert, fan-fic obsessed college girl. The beauty of the story is in its simplicity and how realistic the characters are. I mean..I love Harry Potter (who doesn't?) and it's really hard for me to let the series end so I can totally relate to Cath's predicament.

Venturing into a new and totally foreign environment is hard for everyone and even more so for Cath as she struggle to her new life without her twin sister by her side. I was always rooting and waiting for her to come out of her shell and when it finally happened, it was totally gratifying to read it. I love that even after so much crap happened, she's always been true to herself. I could gush on and on about the book but since so many people have already beaten me to it, I'll just say that the book certainly leaves me feeling all warm inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment